Alleged serial killer Keith Gibson has been formally charged with 41 felonies, including the murders of two people and the attempted murder, assaults, and/or robbery of four other victims, among other offenses.
Prosecutors allege that Gibson, 39, went on a crime spree in Delaware, killing two victims and hurting four others over the course of roughly three weeks. Gibson is also a suspect in multiple murders committed in Pennsylvania earlier this year.
Victims in Delaware were a T-Mobile employee killed in an Elsmere store and a man killed in a street robbery.
Gibson is in custody in Delaware, after being apprehended by Wilmington Police. The status of Pennsylvania charges was not discussed.
“This indictment lays out one of the most vicious, staggering crime sprees I’ve seen in my career,” said Attorney General Kathy Jennings. “It is even more disturbing to think, based on what investigators have revealed in Pennsylvania, that this may just be the tip of the iceberg. We have assigned some of the DOJ’s most experienced prosecutors to this case and we will ensure that this man faces justice for the senseless carnage that he has caused. In the meantime, my heart is with the victims, especially the families of Leslie Basilio and Ronald Wright. My thanks go out to our law enforcement partners, including the indispensable efforts of the Elsmere and Wilmington Police Departments.”
“The charges in this indictment reflect the brutal nature of this individual’s crimes, as well as the significant risk he posed to public safety in our community and throughout our region,” said Wilmington Police Chief Robert J. Tracy. “I am proud of the efforts of our officers responding to his latest armed robbery, who were able to take him into custody and ensure he is held responsible for his senseless, ruthless crime spree and the harm he brought about so many individuals and families.”
“This indictment was reached because of great effort by all of the law enforcement partners to investigate all the multijurisdictional cases together and ultimately bring akillerto justice,” said Elsmere Police Chief Laura Giles. “We can only hope it will bring some relief and closure to the families and loved ones of his victims.”
Gibson, who was previously convicted of Manslaughter and Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, was released from prison on December 20, 2020 after a 13-year sentence. Gibson violated the terms of his probation and was briefly held before being released again on April 27.
The decision from a judge to release Gibson has drawn widespread criticism given his criminal record.
On May 15, 2021, Gibson is alleged to have shot and killed Leslie Ruiz-Basilio, 28, during a robbery at a Metro PCS store on Kirkwood Highway in Elsmere and to have stolen her vehicle. On June 5, Gibson allegedly shot and killed Ronald Wright, 42, during a street robbery, and assaulted another victim.
Over the following three days, Gibson is alleged to have robbed and/or assaulted another three victims, including attempted murder against one, along with a host of weapons and drug offenses. For privacy reasons, the DOJ did not identify living victims of crimes. Gibson was arrested on June 8 in connection with the robbery of a Wilmington Rite-Aid and is currently in custody awaiting trial.
Gibson’s indictment was delivered by a New Castle County grand jury and secured by Deputy AttorneysGeneral John Downs,Matt Frawley, and Sam Kenney with support from Senior Paralegal Stacey Coupe and Social Workers Donna Lindsey and Marilyn Torres. The investigation was led by the Wilmington Police Department and the Elsmere Police Department, with support from law enforcement partners in the New Castle County Police Department, the Newport Police Department, the City of New Castle Police Department, the Newark Police Department, the Philadelphia Police Department, Homeland Security Investigations, the FBI, and the ATF, in addition to support from T-Mobile Asset Protection and the Ruiz-Basilio family.