How we rank – Shaky finances, dementia, romance scams and Big Foot


Delaware was ranked as one of the most financially challenged states in America based on multiple factors relating to personal finances.

 Uplift Legal Funding analyzed six factors relating to the personal finances of each state and scored each one out of 10 to create an Index score for all 50 states.

The factors analyzed within the index included: consumption of annual income as a percentage alongside the percentage of income saved; household debt-to-income ratios; annual personal bankruptcy rates, and the number of saving and debt-related Google searches per state.

Top 10 financially challenged US states

RankStateConsumption as a % of Income% of Income SavedHousehold Debt-to-Income RatioPersonal Bankruptcy RateSavings Searches per 100kDebt Searches per 100kIndex Score
10.South Carolina92.2%7.8%1.7265213.5375.438

Delaware fourth in impact of dementia


Delaware ranked fourth for the US states most in need of financial assistance. With a staggering 97.4% figure, Delaware ranked first for annual average consumption of income, leaving residents with a meager 2.6% of disposable income. This likely explains the high volume of saving-related Google searches in Delaware, at 372.2 searches per 100,000 people.

new study finds Delaware is the No. 12 state most impacted by dementia. Eight of the 10 most impacted states are in the Southeast and six of the 10 least impacted are in the Northeast.

Americans impacted by Dementia know how debilitating it can be physically, emotionally, and financially. An estimated 6.5 million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s – the most common disease that causes dementia — and that number is expected to swell to 13.8 million by 2060.

Alarmingly, the mortality rate for Alzheimer’s is up 72% since 2000, while mortality rates have decreased for other leading causes of death such as cancer, stroke, COPD, and heart disease.

The U.S. is investing billions of dollars in search of a cure, but dementia is not yet preventable, which begs the question, why are certain regions of the country more impacted than others?

Delaware ranks 4th in dementia impact

Seniorly  released a study on The Dementia Crisis: A State-by-State Look using the most recent data on dementia from the CDC and Alzheimer’s Association.

The rankings were determined by analyzing factors such as mortality rates, rates of cognitive decline among seniors, the percentage that need help with daily activities, and annual Medicaid costs.

In Delaware, Alzheimer’s is expected to increase 21.1% by 2025; 10.1% of seniors show cognitive decline; 21.6% need help with daily activities; the Alzheimer’s mortality rate is 29.7 per 100,000; and the average annual Medicaid cost for dementia is $13,316.

Another factor is the state’s large population of elderly.

The 10 most impacted states are Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and West Virginia.

Delaware ranks highin romance scams

A new study shows Americans lost a record $1.3 billion to romance scams in 2022, up 138% from $547 million in 2021. This marks the largest single-year hike over the past five years.

Delaware has the No. 5 highest average loss per victim at $46,065. For total money lost, Delaware ranks No. 40 with 45 victims losing $2.07 million in 2022. The 40th ranking comes despite the state ranking 45th in total population.

The 10 states that lost the most money were highly populated led by California, Texas, Florida, and New York but it was smaller states that saw the biggest increases in money lost year-over-year led by Arkansas (398% increase), New Mexico (268%), and Maine (216%). Four new states entered the top 10 in 2022 for total money lost — Arizona, Ohio, North Carolina, and Illinois.

Social Catfish, a reverse searchtechnology company, today released the study.

Few Big Foot sightings in Delaware

Finally, Delaware is not a hotbed for sightings of Big Foot.

BonusInsider, a website that typically focuses on gaming tips and information, says Delaware is in a cluster of East Coast states with the lowest number of sightings per 100,000 population. Even Pennsylvania, which has its share of isolated areas, ranks low.

West Virginia ranks in the top five in sightings of the hairy creature, with Washington state the front-runner by a wide margin.

While the Pacific Northwest name Big Foot is the most popular, other names include Sasquatch and Yeti.

Sightings of Big Foot in Delaware have been limited to Sussex County,

The report did not delve into other mythical non-ape creatures, including the Jersey Devil, the Wisconsin Hodag, and the Great Plains Wendigo.

Click here for their report.