$11.2 million beach replenishment project under way in Rehoboth, Dewey

Courtesy of the City of Rehoboth Beach
Courtesy of the City of Rehoboth Beach

The beach replenishment  is underway in Rehoboth Beach and Dewey Beach.

The pumping of sand started on  Nov. 24 and will operate around the clock until completion on January 18, 2017.

The project will replenish sand, construct automotive and pedestrian dune crossings, install a sand fence, plant dune grass and install two storm water outfall extensions, the Rehoboth City Manager’s office reported.

During the past eight years, wave action has caused damage to the outfalls, and the city has been relying on temporary fixes.

The new outfalls will have a more robust design to withstand storm damage with steel pipe added for strength with an enhanced support structure around the pipe.

The project sponsor is the State of Delaware and the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC).

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is the design and construction agent and the contractor is Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company.

The total cost of the project is $11.2 million. The corps will pay 65 percent of that cost and DNREC will pay the remaining 35 percent. The city budgeted sufficient funds and will pay $946,500 for the outfall repairs.

The base contract called for 424,000 cubic yards of sand to be pumped. Additional options accepted will increase this base amount to 653,000 cubic yards pumped with 384,000 for Rehoboth Beach and 269,000 for Dewey Beach.

For the two outfall extensions, the time slated for completion is June 15, 2017.

 The Corps will use a new site located in the Delaware Seashore State Park where grain size of the sand matches the beaches of Rehoboth Beach and Dewey Beach.

Dredges extract the sand, and   giant vacuums pull up sand and water. The intake travels through the grating that filters out debris. The sand and water travel through an underwater pipeline to the beach.

The material gushes out the end of the pipeline into a “basket” that serves as a second filter to eliminate debris.

Any debris is hauled to the beach. Conventional earth-moving equipment then moves the sand


Facebook Comments
Previous articleFive-digit license plates go on sale on Thursday
Next articleBusiness people: Nov. 29, 2016
Delaware Business Now is a four-year-old, five-day-a-week newsletter and website operated by Bird Street Media LLC. Publisher and Chief Content Officer is Doug Rainey, a 30-year veteran of business journalism in the state of Delaware.  Business Now focuses on breaking business news in Delaware and immediate adjacent areas with apropriate background and perspective. Also offered exclusively in our FREE newsletter is commentary on state and regional issues. Have a complaint, question or even a compliment? Send an email to drainey@delawarebusinessnow.com. For advertising information, click on the About tab at the top of the home page Our business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Call us at 302.753.0691.