Update: Firefighters battle blaze at Glasgow cocoa processor


(Photo courtesy of Aetna)

A fire at a Glasgow cocoa processing plant was ruled accidental by the state Fire Marshal’s Office.

The fire was determined to have started in an exhaust fan on the roof of the facility, due to an electrical malfunction. 

Damge was estimated at $75,000.

The Aetna Hose, Hook & Ladder Company, Newark and mutual aid companies were dispatched late Saturday morning to the United Cocoa Processor site at 701 Pencader Drive in the Pencader Corporate Center, Glasgow.The site south of Newark is in Aetna’s service area.


Fire departments arrived to find smoke and fire visible from the roof with smoke conditions in the interior of the building. A second alarm assignment was requested for additional firefighting assistance.

Two United Cocoa Processor employees were rescued from the roof by firefighters.

The fire was declared to be under control at 12:46 p.m. with all firefighters and fire apparatus clear the scene at 2:39 p.m..

This is the second fire at the United Cocoa Processor facility this year. The Aetna Hose, Hook & Ladder Company responded with other fire companies for a fire at the same facility on July 26.

Nine fire companies assisted in battling the fire. Paramedics were also at the scene.