The Tuesday Covid-19 summary from the state Division of Public Health reported nine new deaths, increased hospitalizations, and a drop in new daily cases.
Among those who died of Covid-19 complications, five were residents of New Castle County, and four resided in Sussex County. They ranged in age from their 50s to their 80s. All had underlying health conditions, and six were not vaccinated.
The death toll now stands at 2,489, the equivalent of the population of Towsend.
The other numbers
• 970 new positive cases, bringing the overall total to 242,324.
• 23.8% of total tests were positive in the seven-day rolling average, down 1.3% points from the previous day,
• 550 current hospitalizations, up 16 from the previous day, including 59 individuals in critical condition. The number of hospitalizations is down from the peak of more than 700 but remains above the winter 2021 peak of 474.
• 26 new hospital admissions, up by nine from the previous day.
• 7,054 tests performed daily in the seven-day average, down 560 from the previous day.
• 640,922 people fully vaccinated – the total was not updated on the CDC Vaccine Tracker..
• 1,658,680* total vaccine doses – the total has not yet been updated on the CDC Vaccine Tracker.
For more data, including breakdowns by age, sex, race/ethnicity, at the statewide, county, and, in some cases, ZIP code or census tract, click here.