The Delaware Division of Public Health reported a sharp increase in hospitalizations and new Covid-19 cases in its weekly report.
East Coast states are reporting an upturn in Covid-19 that continued after the Thanksgiving holiday.
The vast majority of new cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are among the unvaccinated.
The recently detected Omicron strain of Covid-19 has not yet appeared in Delaware’s sampling of test results. However, cases have been detected in Baltimore and Philadelphia. The predominant strain remains the Delta variant here and elsewhere.
The higher number of cases continued into the weekend, with the weekly average of new cases totaling 546, up sharply from the 260 figure earlier in the fall.
Case numbers per 10,000 population rose in many zip codes. Hotspots were Smyrna (New Castle and Kent counties), Clayton and Magnolia (Kent County) and Ellendale (Sussex County).
Weekly findings as of Thursday
- Total positive cases since March 11, 2020: 155,149
- 7-day average of new positive cases: 432.7, an increase from 377.6 last week
- 743 new daily cases on Thursday
- 7-day average for the percentage of total positive tests: 8.3%, an increase from 7.1% last week
- Hospitalizations: 266, an increase of 107 from last week; critically ill: 32, an increase of 12 from last week
- Total Covid-19 deaths: 2,194
- Total Covid-19 deaths reported since last week: 21, including nine from a review of vital statistics records.
|Percentage of unvaccinated in key categories
|Total Unvaccinated / Partially Vaccinated Cases||1667|
|Percent of Unvaccinated / Partially Vaccinated Cases||72%|
|Unvaccinated / Partially Vaccinated Hospitalized Cases||91|
|Total Hospitalized Cases||114|
|Percent of Unvaccinated / Partially Vaccinated Hospitalized Cases||80%|
|Unvaccinated / Partially Vaccinated COVID-19 Deaths||8|
|Total COVID-19 Deaths||10|
|Percent of Unvaccinated / Partially Vaccinated COVID-19 Deaths||80%|
Breakthrough cases since vaccinations
- Total breakthrough cases: 7,633 or 1.4% of fully vaccinated individuals
- Total breakthrough hospitalizations: 127
- Total breakthrough deaths: 98
A breakthrough case is defined as testing positive for Covi-19 after an individual has been fully vaccinated for two weeks or more. It does not mean that the infection occurred after vaccination.
Click here for detailed findings by county and zip code.