There will be no more lines of people seeking the coveted five-digit Delaware plates.
The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) announced the seasonal release of available five-digit license plates starting Monday, Nov. 8.
On that day, a limited number of five-digit license plates will be made available to the public through a new online tag reservation system on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The link is de.gov/reservetag for more information and to access the link to reserve a five-digit plate.
License plate numbers cannot be reserved by phone, by email, or in person.
The promotion will run only as long as license plate supplies last.
- If more than one plate is reserved for an individual or entity, each additional reservation will be canceled by the DMV.
- Plates will be reserved and held at DMV until Feb. 28, 2022, at which time all unclaimed reserved plates from this release will be re-allocated.
- All five-digit tags will be blue and gold. If you choose to upgrade your plate to black and stainless steel or porcelain, the cost is $120 ($115 for the plate and $5 for the additional sticker). This upgrade can be completed during your visit to any Delaware DMV center or online through the Delaware Historic Plate Company. Upgrades can be completed any time after updating your title with the DMV to reflect an eligible tag number.
- The division also offers a variety of background plates which can be ordered to display your five-digit tag number. The cost of a background plate ranges from $15 – $50 and available options are displayed online and at each DMV location.
- Five-digit plates can be placed on cars or pickup trucks registered up to 10,000 pounds or less.
- Customers are responsible for all applicable transfer fees.
- Once you reserve your five-digit plate, you will receive a confirmation email with detailed instructions; make sure that you have all your required documentation before heading to the selected DMV. You will need to bring the email confirmation and the driver’s license or ID that was used for the reservation. The title must be in the same name as the DL or ID. The individual must meet residency requirements.
- Your confirmation email will contain the assigned five-digit plate; plates are issued on a first-come, first-served basis automatically through the online system at de.gov/reservetag