Updated: St. Georges blaze that caused $600,000 in damage to 3 homes traced to power strip

0
Advertisement

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that a problem with an electric power strip led to a Monday night fire that damaged three homes.

 The Fire Marshal’s office determined that the fire started inside a second-floor bedroom when an electrical malfunction occurred with the multi-outlet electric power strip. The cause was ruled to be accidental.

Power strips and extension cords are said to be responsible for more than 3,300 fires a year.

The blaze, reported shortly after 7:30 pm, occurred in the 1300 block of Joseph Lane in the Highpointe at St. Georges development near the Route 13 bridge and the DMV center.

The Delaware City Fire Company arrived on the scene and found flames shooting from the second floor of one home.  One firefighter suffered a hand injury and was taken to the Christiana Hospital in stable condition.

Deputy fire marshals are currently on the scene searching for the fire’s origin and cause. One home was heavily damaged, and both houses on each side were damaged from the main fire. 

Damage was estimated at $600,000.  One occupant escaped from the burning house after being alerted by the smoke alarms.  The fire remains under investigation.

 

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement