Claymont man one of 3 charged with using explosives during attempted Wawa, Target robberies

Reading Time: 2 minutes

A Claymont man was one of three people indicted in attempts to rob Targets and Wawa stores in the Philadelphia area using explosive devices.

One incident occurred at a Wawa in Claymont.

The robberies took place during a period of civil unrest following the shooting of an individual by a Philadelphia Police officer.

The three men were identified as Nasser McFall, 22, of Claymont; Cushmir McBride, 21, Yeadon, PA; Kamar Thompson, 34, Philadelphia.

All were charged for their alleged involvement in four separate incidents in fall 2020 – robberies of a Target and a Wawa, and attempts to rob two different Wawas, all with explosive devices.

McFall is also charged with setting off an explosive device at a bank in Philadelphia later that year. McBride and McFall were previously arrested and charged and Thompson is in federal custody facing charges in a separate case involving the possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.Each defendant is expected to be arraigned on these new charges next week.

According to the U.S. Attorneys Office in Philadelphia on October 26, 2020, a Philadelphia Police Officer-involved shooting occurred in the Cobbs Creek section of Philadelphia that resulted in the death of Walter Wallace, Jr.

Peaceful protests began that evening and continued in later days, accompanied by a period of civil unrest with widespread incidents of looting in various neighborhoods in Philadelphia.

The indictment alleges that on October 28, 2020, McBride, Thompson and McFall conspired to break into a Target in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia and set off an explosive device in order to steal money from an ATM.

The defendants also allegedly broke into a Wawa the following day, October 29 on Richmond Street in Philadelphia, where they once again set off explosive devices in order to steal money from the ATM.

The Indictment further alleges that the defendants set off explosive devices in two other Wawas, one in Philadelphia and one in Claymont in two separate attempts to rob these stores. Finally, McFall is alleged to have set off an explosive device inside an ATM at a Wells Fargo bank in Philadelphia on December 2, 2020.

If convicted, each defendant faces a maximum possible sentence of 80 years in prison.

The case was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives and the Philadelphia Police Department, and is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Robert E. Eckert.

Facebook Comments