A father and son from Laurel are in custody after a widely posted photograph showed a man carrying a Confederate flag during the storming of the U.S. Capitol.
The presence of the flag became a symbol of what has been described in some quarters as an attempted coup that attempted to stop the certification of Delawarean Joe Biden as the next president.
Kevin Seefried and Hunter Seefried were charged Thursday in federal court in the District of Columbia in connection with the rioting at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.
Kevin Seefried and Hunter Seefried each were charged with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority, one count of violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, and one count of depredation of government property.
DelawareOnline reported the charges could emerge as felonies and misdemeanors, with years of prison time for felonies. Authorities have said other charges could be added to those arrested in connection with the storming of the Capitol.
Authorities have arrested Kevin Seefried, a Delaware man who was pictured holding a Confederate flag in the US Capitol during the riot last week, according to a law enforcement official. https://t.co/2X7oMmWTO4
— CNN (@CNN) January 14, 2021
Both were taken into custody in Delaware. It is alleged that during the riot at the U.S. Capitol, Kevin Seefried and Hunter Seefried entered the Senate Building through a broken window and, shortly thereafter, Kevin Seefried was photographed holding a Confederate Battle flag inside the Capitol.
A statement of facts accompanying the release of the arrests stated that the Seefrieda confirmed their participation in the events at the Capitol. Kevin Seefried also explained that he brought the Confederate Battle flag to the District of Columbia from his home in Delaware where it is usually displayed outside.
The younger Seefried was heard talking to co-workers about his participation in the capital incident, with that conversation reported to authorities.
The cases are being prosecuted by the U.S Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Counterterrorism Section of the Department of Justice’s National Security Division.
The cases are also being investigated by the FBI’s Washington Field Office, the U.S. Capitol Police Department, and the Metropolitan Police Department.
Assistance was provided by Assistant United States Attorney Adrienne Dedjinou of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Delaware.
In a release announcing the charges, the ATF and FBI continue to urge the public to report suspected use of explosive devices, or violent, destructive acts associated with the recent unrest. Anyone with information can call 1-888-ATF-TIPS (1-888-283-8477), email ATFTips@atf.gov or submit information anonymously via ReportIt.com.
The FBI is looking for individuals who may have incited or promoted violence of any kind. Anyone with digital material or tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or submit images or videos at fbi.gov/USCapitol.
A photo of a man, later identified as the elder Seefried, became a symbol of the storming of the Capitol that led to the second impeachment in a year of President Donald Trump. Trump spoke to the crowd prior to a march to the capital. Trump’s presence on social media has since been taken away.
One Capitol Police officer lost his life in the mob action.
U.S. Attorney for Delaware David Weiss issued the following statement;
“Last week’s breach of the U.S. Capital Building was nothing less than an assault on our democracy. Those who participated must be held accountable. As I have said previously, this office is committed to working with our partners at the Department of Justice to investigate, apprehend, and where appropriate prosecute Delawareans who committed criminal acts.”