The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal reported one injury and damage to a home, due to the use of fireworks on July 4.
The office reported a Felton woman, was injured after she was struck by fireworks
The victim sustained second and third-degree burns to her lower extremities after being accidentally exposed to sparks from what is commonly referred to as a “fountain”. The device was ignited by another person and was accidentally knocked over, spraying the victim with burning embers.
An ambulance transported the victim around 9 p.m. from a home in the 300 block of Cattle Drive in the Rosewood Farms development to the Bayhealth Hospital – Kent Campus in Dover. She was listed in stable condition.
The Fire Marshal’s office also ruled that a house fire in the New Castle area was caused by fireworks.
The blaze, reported around 11:30 p.m., occurred in the 100 block of Malcolm Forest Road in the Bayview Manor development. The Good Will Fire Company responded to the fire. Other fire companies assisted at the scene.
The fire originated on the exterior of the dwelling when fireworks ignited landscaping. Flames spread into the house causing an estimated $5,000 in damage. No injuries were reported.
Delaware and other states have seen soaring sales of fireworks that have been fired off throughout the week. Sales, where permitted, sometimes involved more expensive displays.
A couple of years ago, Delaware lifted its fireworks ban and permitted sparklers and devices that do not go into the air. The ban had been only loosely enforced since neighboring states sell fireworks.
Legal displays were largely canceled due to crowd concerns arising from the Covid-19 pandemic.
One fireworks display in a large field near Georgetown was permitted.