Beatles tribute band to perform
The Grand Opera House announces that it will once again bring live music to the community this July with the area’s first-ever drive-in concert.
Featuring popular local tribute band, The Rock Orchestra, playing the greatest hits of The Beatles, the show will take place on Friday, July 3rd at 7 p.m. in the Frawley Stadium parking lot on Wilmington’s Riverfront.
“We’ve worked with our partners to create a safe, comfortable, high-quality experience that will blend the special joy of a live concert, the vibe of a drive-in movie, and the charms of a summer evening outdoors,” says Grand Executive Director Mark Fields. “We’ve missed welcoming patrons into our homes on Market Street and we hope that this series of concerts provides a way for our community to welcome live music back into a daily routine that has been dominated by Zooms and TV binge-watching. It represents a major step forward for The Grand in providing arts experiences to the community.”
“Capacity is limited for the first concert, so be among the first to share in this unique concert experiment that we intend to be the beginning of a summer of entertainment, Grand-style,” says Fields. “It is our hope to attract national artists that have typically performed on our indoor stages to our new outdoor configuration.”
The Concerts by Car series is presented in part by PNC Arts Alive, New Castle County, and The City of Wilmington. Additional support is provided by Riverfront Development Corporation, The Wilmington Blue Rocks, Colonial Parking, Kenny Family ShopRites, NKS Distributors, and Electro Sound Systems.
“We’re looking forward to a wonderful partnership with The Grand,” said County Executive Matt Meyer. “This is a way for us to join together and celebrate the arts here in New Castle County.”
Wilmington Mayor Mike Purzycki adds “Live music has been Wilmington’s lifeblood over the years, and its recent absence has been keenly felt. I applaud the efforts of our friends at The Grand, who have found an innovative and groundbreaking way to let us appreciate live music outdoors again. This is just one more example of the many positive, creative initiatives that are now cropping up all over Wilmington in response to our new environment.”
Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday, June 19, and are $25 per person per car, plus fees. They are available by calling The Grand Box Office at 302.652.5577 or online at www.TheGrandWilmington.org. The Grand is not accepting any in-person purchases at its box offices due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
IF YOU GO:
What: Concerts by Car Series Kick-Off featuring The Rock Orchestra
When: Friday, July 3 at 7:00 pm. Concert will be no longer than 90 minutes.
Where: The parking lot of Frawley Stadium
How much: $25 per person, per car (maximum $100 per car for four occupants)
Social distancing measures will operate in accordance with Delaware guidelines:
- Vehicles will be spaced approximately 6’-8’ apart. Windows may remain open at this distance.
- Cars will be parked in a manner to achieve at/or appropriate spacing and best visibility.
- Patrons are encouraged to remain in their vehicles. However, you may leave your car and sit in your own chairs in the adjoining space beside your car.
- Face masks must be worn anytime you are outside your vehicle.
- There are no public restrooms.
- There is no re-entry once your vehicle leaves the grounds.
- In accordance with state guidelines, patrons will be asked to leave if they do not adhere to the rules and regulations.
- Tickets MUST be purchased in advance. There are no walk-up sales allowed.Passenger vehicles only. No buses, party buses, limousines, bicycles, or foot traffic allowed. ADA accessible vehicles will be permitted.
- All tickets are general admission and spots cannot be reserved.
- Rain date for this event is Sunday, July 5.
- Concert will take place in the Main Parking Lot of Frawley Stadium. All traffic must enter from Justison Street.
- There will be no concessions served. Alcohol prohibited.
- Attendees will be able to hear the concerts via FM radio. Details will be provided on-site.
- We discourage vehicles with more than four occupants.
- No pets allowed.
State guidance on social distancing, public gatherings and certain procedures and practices is subject to change.