Attorney general drops charges, stops short of full investigation into Camden protest

0

Attorney General Kathy Jennings said protesters arrested in a June 9th incident in Camden will not be charged.In addition, no investigations will be launched into the conduct of police and protesters during the June 9 incident.

“Our review of the evidence, as well as what we learned in our meetings, made clear that neither a prosecution of these protesters nor an investigation into the police—both of which have been demanded, with equal volume—would serve a good purpose. I may be demonized equally by those who push criminal convictions against protesters who were aggressive but non-violent, or against police who made arrests. Perhaps this is as good a sign as any that we must put June 9 behind us and find common ground,” Jennings stated.

Click on the headline below for the full statement.

Jennings’ statement on Camden protest

The decision allows Jennings, a veteran criminal prosecutor, to avoid a confrontation with the powerful law enforcement community in Delaware. Dropping charges, which often happens in such cases, will lower the temperature and may reduce the risk of confrontations.

The incident involved protesters confronting motorists and the arrest of African-AmericanDover Post reporter/photographer Andre Lamar. Lamaar was later released on orders from the Attorney General’s office.

Protesters had complained they were confined to cells or chained to walls and could not call their family or lawyers while detained at a State Police barracks or troop headquarters.


I may be demonized equally by those who push criminal convictions against protesters who were aggressive but non-violent, or against police who made arrests. Perhaps this is as good a sign as any that we must put June 9 behind us and find common ground,” – Kathy Jennings.


A police report said officers feared that the protest was getting out of hand in justifying the need for the arrests.

In a statement, Jennings said the AG’s office reviewed videos, photos and recordings in making the decision over protests that she described as mostly peaceful.

The lengthy statement from Jennings noted that Dover Post reporter/photographer Lamar had been present at previous protests, sometimes in a professional and at other times in a personal capacity. Jennings declined to release the names of protesters and police involved in the incident.

Dover and State Police did not issue an apology to Lamar. Dover Police claimed they did not know he was a working journalist.

“We, as a state, are now engaging in these difficult exercises. I’m hopeful about where we are heading, and I remain committed to effectuating that progress,” Jennings stated.

Facebook Comments