Dogs walking limited to beach
The City of Rehoboth Beach will open the beach and boardwalk on Friday, subject to the following:
- The beach and boardwalk will be opened for exercise from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. Exercise is defined as an activity requiring physical effort carried out to sustain health and fitness.
- The boardwalk will also be open for the public to access local businesses.
- When using the beach and boardwalk visitors are advised to:
- Wear a face covering.
- Maintain social distancing (at least six feet from others).
- Keep gatherings to 10 people or fewer.
- Bikes are permitted on the boardwalk from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Leashed dog walking is allowed on the beach May 15 through May 29. Dogs are not allowed on the boardwalk.
- Public restrooms will open May 15 at Rehoboth, Baltimore, and Delaware Avenues.
- At this time, swimming, surfing, and loitering are not allowed.
- Parking meters and permits are suspended through May 29.
The changes were approved by Rehoboth commissioners after Ocean City, MD opened its beaches on Saturday. Crowds were on the light side, thanks in part to cool temperatures. The mercury could hit the 80-degree mark in Rehoboth on Saturday.
The limited opening comes as protesters will come to the beach town Saturday with some advocating civil disobedience.
Rehoboth Police said they are prepared to deal with any violations and have been working with other agencies.
See earlier story below: