AAA Mid-Atlantic reported that gas prices rose by a dime over the past week, the fastest rate of increase in the region, but well below last week’s figure.
The average price at the pump for regular was $1.88 a gallon, unchanged overnight, but far below last year’s average of $2.67 a gallon.
Demand for gasoline has risen as have crude oil prices as a price war abates between Saudi Arabia and Russia and companies like Delaware City refinery owner PBF operate at minimum levels.
The price war came as the coronavirus crisis unfolded in March.
Some uptick in demand has come as more businesses reopen, with Delaware slated to see restricted retail and restaurant openings on June 1.
The Memorial Day weekend can mark the peak for gas prices for the year. However, motorists are taking fewer trips as theme parks remain closed and restrictions remain for some beach areas, including those in Delaware.
The lowest gas prices in the state are at membership clubs BJ’s and Costco in northern Delaware at $1.56 a gallon.
To check out prices in your neighborhood, log on to AAA’s Fuel Price finder.
Average gas prices around the region, according to AAA.
- Pennsylvania gas average at $2.22 Monday, unchanged overnight and up 8 cents in the last week. MEMORIAL DAY 2019 $2.98
- New Jersey gas average at$2.02 Monday, unchanged overnight and up 3 cents in the last week. MEMORIALDAY 2019 $2.90
- Maryland gas average at $2.01 Monday, unchanged overnight and up 8 cents in the last week. MEMORIAL DAY 2019 $2.77
- Philadelphia (5-county) areagas average at $2.18 Monday, unchanged overnight and up 4 cents in the last week. MEMORIAL DAY 2019 $3.01
- S. Jerseygas average at $1.96Monday, up a penny overnight and up 5 cents in the last week. MEMORIAL DAY 2019 $2.81
- National gas average at $1.96Monday, up a penny overnight and up 9 cents in the last week. MEMORIAL DAY 2019 $2.83.
The travel restrictions that include businesses moving to Zoom and other video conferencing applications contributed to a Delaware bankruptcy filing for rental car giant Hertz. See link to story below