New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer, in partnership with Verizon and Assurance Media, Cisco-Meraki and New Castle County Information Systems and Public Works departments, will launch complimentary wi-fi hotspots in eight locations starting Monday.
Assurance Media and Cisco-Meraki provide Wi-Fi equipment and services, with Verizon providing the “pipe” to the Internet.
Efforts began on March 21 and in just over a week, the hotspots are expected to be up and running. Wi-Fi users are instructed to remain inside their vehicles while using the hotspots.
Wi-Fi and computer access for those without online access was eliminated with the closing of the county’s libraries. Moreover many government services, including filing for unemployment, have moved to online portals
“Wi-Fi is a growing necessity, whether you use it for school, email, or social media, and this will better serve communities who don’t have internet access at home, who are working with limited data plans, and especially students who need to be online to stay connected to their teachers,” County Executive Meyer said.
If physical distancing is not respected in areas around county buildings, New Castle County will deactivate hotspots.
Most mobile devices (cell phones, tablets) can access the Internet, but data charges can pile up.
Comcast is also operating public hotspots at no charge in response to the crisis. Click here for locations.
To learn where additional hotspots have been added, New Castle County has established a site www.wifi.nccde.org that will show where each of the Wi-Fi hotspots is located.
County locations available on Monday, March 30 are:
- NCC Government Center (87 Reads Way, New Castle 19720)
- NCC Gilliam Building (77 Reads Way, New Castle 19720)
- Garfield Park PAL (26 Karlyn Dr, New Castle DE 19720)
- Banning Park Maintenance Base (102 Middleboro Rd, Wilmington, 19804)
- Kimberton Police Academy (201 Kimberton Drive, Newark 19713)
- EMS Base 5 Parking Lot (North Broad Street, Middletown)
- Kirkwood Library (6000 Kirkwood Hwy, Wilmington, DE)
- Bear Library rear parking lot (101 Governors Place, Bear)