The Delaware State Police Troop 4 Financial Crimes Unit arrested 58-year-old recreational vehicle dealer William G. Carey on racketeering and theft-related charges as part of an ongoing fraud investigation.
The original investigation got underway in September 2018, when a fraud report was filed in reference to a sales agreement that was made with Midway RV & Sales, Laurel.
Detectives allege that Carey, who resides in Salisbury, MD, would take the victim’s money to purchase consigned motorhomes and travel trailers and not pay off the previous liens. Carey would then submit falsified sales invoices to banks and the DMV.
Carey was originally arrested on April 4, 2019 on the following charges:
- Theft by False Pretense over $1,500.00 (4 counts)
- Falsifying Business Records (15 counts)
- Offering False Instrument for Filing
- Defrauding Secured Creditors
- Deceptive Business Practices (6 counts)
After further investigation, Carey was arrested on Friday and charged with additional offenses:
- Organized Crime and Racketeering
- Theft Greater than $100,000 (2 counts)
- Theft Greater than $50,000 but Less than $100,000
Carey was arraigned in Justice of the Peace Court #2 and released on $155,000.00 unsecured bail.
The case continues to remain under investigation by the Delaware State Police Financial Crimes Unit.
Anyone who believes he is a victim is asked to contact Detective Shockley at 302-856-5850. Information may also be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333, via the internet at www.delaware.crimestoppersweb.com.