KIDS Fund 5K returns to Newport on Aug. 3
The Delaware KIDS Fund announcedthe return of the 10th Annual Delaware KIDS Fund 5K Run/Walk in Newport.
Runners and walkers will take to the streets of Newport once again to help benefit the Delaware KIDS Fund childhood hunger initiative on Saturday, August 3rd.
Proceeds from the event will help launch, stock and fund the Richardson Park Elementary School Food Pantry. Currently, nearly three-fourths of Richardson Park Elementary School students live at or below the poverty line – a rate roughly three times the national average.
Last year’s event proceeds helped open a food pantry at Richey Elementary School in Newport. The initiative is a part of the KIDS Fund “5 – 5 – 5” Pantry Program (opening five pantries’ in five years at five schools).
Registration and post-race festivities will take place in the grass lot directly across the street from James Street Tavern. Register in advance at:www.races2run.com<http://www.races2run.com> or www.dekidsfund.org<http://www.dekidsfund.org>
Minquas Firefighter John Smiley, Jr. will serve as the honorary starter. Smiley survived life threatening second- and third-degree burns to 10 percent of his body in March 2019.
Festivities include face painting for the kids; yard games; DJ music; moon bounce; on-site massages by Synergy Chiropractic; race photo booth; local craft beers poured by Twin Lakes Brewing Company; food provided by the James Street Tavern; Italian ice with Dino’s Ice Cream Truck; The SUEZ misting tent and cooling station; appearances by a few of Delaware’s most beloved mascots including Rocky Blue Winkle from the Wilmington Blue Rocks and YoUDee from the University of Delaware.
All race participants will receive a commemorative finisher medal celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the event, an event Tech T-shirt, micro-fiber cooling towel, refreshments and food to enjoy before and after the race.
Established by Thomas J. Hanna of Harvey, Hanna & Associates, Inc., the Delaware KIDS Fund is a 501c (3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing goods and services to children at risk and in distressed situations.
Historic Odessa makes headway on $3 million endowment
The Historic Odessa Foundation (HOF), which owns and operates the Historic Houses of Odessa,announce that after the launch of its capital campaign to establish a permanent endowment, it is making progress toward the goal of raising $3 million.
The Campaign is entitled Independence and Perpetuity. (See video below).
The overall focus of the endowment campaign is to fulfill the vision of founder and Delaware preservationist H. Rodney Sharp (1880-1968), who with the purchase of Odessa’s Corbit mansion – today’s National Historic Landmark Corbit-Sharp House (1774) – in 1938, began a three-decade-long, full-scale colonial revival of old Odessa, a port town on the banks of the Appoquinimink River.
The endowment will enable the Historic Odessa Foundation to permanently sustain the preservation of its six historic museum properties and 72-acre site, its collection of more than 7,000 decorative art objects an its Living History educational programming.
“We have balanced our budget every year since we established the Foundation in 2005,” said H. Donnan Sharp,HOF’s board chair, granddaughter of H. Rodney Sharp, and former Olympic equestrian, who has been a longtime advocate of Historic Odessa and her grandfather’s legacy. “However, we know that in the interest of permanent sustainability, the foundation needs an endowment to assure its care and its future. This will ensure that the programs and activities that our community now embraces will live on for the community in perpetuity.”
Historic Odessa is one of the largest historic sites under independent management in Delaware. Until the establishment of the Foundation in 2005, the Historic Houses of Odessa were owned by Winterthur Museum, which had been given the properties by H. Rodney Sharp and his descendants starting in 1958 with the Corbit-Sharp House.
In 2003,the Winterthur board voted to follow a recommendation to separate the two organizations, which led to the founding of the Historic Odessa Foundation.
“We operate on a very modest budget with only two full-time staff, several part-time staff, and an army of committed volunteers,” said Debbie Buckson. “Private foundations have funded the lion’s share of building preservation and facilities improvements. Membership income, Cantwell’s Tavern, weddings and events, and individual gifts support general operations and program development, while corporate sponsors underwrite special events and exhibitions.”
For more information on the Historic Odessa Independence and Perpetuity Campaign, contact Buckson at 302-378-4119, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quiet Resorts Foundation makes a donation to Beebe
The Quiet Resorts Charitable Foundation presented the Beebe Medical Foundation with an $8,000 donation this spring to support the construction of Beebe Healthcare’s new emergency department near Millville.
The grant was made possible through the community’s support of the Quiet Resorts Charitable Foundation’s 14th annual Caribbean Christmas held Dec. 1, 2018, at Mango’s, located in Bethany Beach. This is the first of three events the Quiet Resorts Charitable Foundation holds annually to raise money.
Formed in 2001 by the Bethany-Fenwick Area Chamber of Commerce, the Quiet Resorts Charitable Foundation manages and distributes funds to qualified organizations serving the local community. The Foundation has given over $168,000 is scholarships to local college-bound students and nearly $500,000 in grants to local organizations and charities in support of this mission.
Construction is continuing at Beebe’s new South Coastal Health Campus on Route 17 near Millville. The emergency department is expected to open in May 2020. A new cancer center is also under construction at this site and will also open next summer.