The University of Delawareis making the case for the institution serving as a major economic engine for Delaware and the entire Northeast Corridor by supporting thousands of jobs far beyond its campus.
A newreport, created by Econsult Solutions, Inc. and commissioned by UD, examined the impact of the University’s annual operations, capital investments, student and visitor spending and the additional earnings potential it confers on graduates.
The report also highlighted UD’s local engagement, research, and entrepreneurial successes.
The report shows UD having a $2.8 billion impact on the economy, with every dollar of investment by the State of Delaware generating $23 of economic impact in the state.
The university, like most of its counterparts around the nation, has seen a sharp decline in the percentage of its budget that is supported by the State of Delaware.
UD’s main campus in Newark has a $1.2 billion economic impact and supports 15,390 jobs.
- $145.5 million in sponsored research in FY2018
- 465 patent disclosures, more than 130 patents issued and 58 licenses executed since 2009
- 26 start-ups resulting from licensing of UD technology
- More than $13 million in venture capital funding for UD start-ups A blend of cutting-edge research, top-notch academics, high-quality health care services and thriving businesses in a growing community of innovators and entrepreneurs
- A federally designated Opportunity Zone eligible for tax incentives
At the STAR Campus of UD
- Home to UD’s Health Sciences Complex and the Tower at STAR
- Coming soon: UD’s Biopharmaceutical Innovation Building and the Chemours Discovery Hub
- Connecting with our neighbors at Ag Day, Coast Day, Newark Community Day and many other events
- Helping others through 250,000 hours of service performed by UD students annually
- Promoting sustainable agriculture, good nutrition and personal well-being through Cooperative Extension outreach programs
- Serving the needs of corporate and nonprofit organizations in the fields of education, finance, health care, human services and more
- Sharing knowledge through the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute in Wilmington, Dover and Lewes/Ocean View