The “Battle of Bars for Newark Area Non-Profits” on Friday raised more than $16,000.
The event was held at the Courtyard Marriott at the University of Delaware.
The event brought together community leaders and supporters of the participating bars. Each selected a local non-profit agency that received the proceeds from the bars.
The change in the format of the event allowed more non-profits to benefit from this community-based project. The event previously aided the Newark Police Department’s K-9 program.
This year’s event pittedeight downtown Newark restaurants against one other in the battle for bragging rights and the “Paco Cup”, named in memory of Newark’s first K-9 officer.
Bartenders competedto generate the most tips and drink sales.
Distributor BreakThru Beverage and Tito’s Vodka sponsored the adult beverage donation to help keep the cost of the event low. WJBR radio host, Michael Waite was the emcee and DJ Erin provided the tunes.
This year’s winning bar was Timothy’s’ of Newark, which came out on top for the second year in row.
Co-chairs Nic DeCaire, of Fusion Fitness, and Bill Sullivan and the team from the Courtyard by Marriott Newark at the University of Delaware planned and managed the event.
Participating Newark Restaurant Bars and Non-Profits
- Deer Park Tavern–Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition
- Stone Balloon Ale House– DE State Police Memorial Fund
- The Greene Turtle–Preston’s March For EnergyandFriends of Newark K-9 Officers
- Grottos UD–Easterseals Delaware & Maryland’s Eastern Shore
- Klondike Kate’s Restaurant & Saloon–Friends of Newark K-9 Officers
- Timothy’s of Newark–Friends of Newark K-9 Officers
- Arena’s Newark–NAMI Delaware
Plans are being made for next year’s event.