Updated: Townhouse complex fire in Claymont displaces 18

0

The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has pinpointed a cause for a fire that displaced 18 in Claymont.

According to the office, the fire occurred when charcoal briquettes used in a grill ignited the rear vinyl siding on the townhouse. The cause was listed as accidental.

The blaze, reported shortly after 7 a.m., at the 1200 block of Melontree Court in the Stoneybrook Apartment complex near Naamans Road. The Claymont Fire Company arrived on the scene with flames on the exterior of the two-story row of townhouses.

Advertisement

Fire damage is estimated at $250,000. Eighteen people have been displaced – eight adults and ten children. The American Red Cross and the apartment management are providing emergency assistance to those displaced. There were no reported injuries.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
SHARE
Previous articleDelaware not in recall area for 220 million eggs
Posts labeled Special to Delaware Business Now are typically submitted items that are updated and sometimes rewritten in news style. Background information is sometimes added.
Advertisement