On Thursday, the Newark Police Street Crimes Unit and Special Operations Unit conducted a reverse prostitution sting utilizing a local hotel.
Undercover officers placed a fictitiousprofile of a female on a web page in the escort section to determine if any “johns” would solicit the femaleforprostitution.
During the course of the investigation over 150 different telephone numbers called or texted the phone number placed in the add. The calls and texts were answered by undercover officers.
Six men wentto the hotel after requesting sexual favors in exchange for money or drugs. The hotel, which was not identified by police, cooperated in the operation.
Arrested were the following persons:
- Saleh Ahmed (41) of Newark DE – Patronizing a Prostitute
- Jeffrey Osborne (47) of Kemblesville PA. – Patronizing a Prostitute, Marijuana Possession
- Shrey Upadhyay (25) of W. Deptford NJ – Patronizing a Prostitute
- Mario Colon (24) of New Castle DE – Patronizing a Prostitute
- Jason Wilson (34) of Newark DE – Patronizing a Prostitute
- Robert North (49) of Smyrna, DE – Patronizing a Prostitute
- All six were issued summonses to appear in Newark Alderman Court #40 at a later date and released from custody.
Chief of Police Paul Tiernan stated, “Although we understand that prostitution can be seen as a victimless crime, many people are engaged in this activity as a result of human trafficking, and often results in drug activity and violent crimes being committed.”
While conducting this operation, on March 15, at 6:30 p.m., Newark Police received a 911 call reporting an assault and robbery of a female victim at a local hotel.
The female, a 19-year-old from Las Vegas, NV, reported that she was strangled by someone she had just recently met and had undisclosed items stolen. This investigation is ongoing and a link to prostitution is being considered as a possibility.
Anyone with additional information about this incident can contact Detective Anderson at WAnderson@newark.de.us or 302-366-7100 ext. 3469.