Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at Amazon’s Middletown fulfillment center

Reading Time: < 1 minute

The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that last night’s Amazon fire in Middletown was accidental and caused minimal damage.

The Volunteer Hose Company ofMiddletown was called to the Amazon Fulfillment Center at 560 Merrimac Avenue at 9:30 pm for a reported fire inside the processing area. Upon arrival, it was learned that the fire sprinkler system had extinguished the fire.

State fire investigators were called to the scene According to a release, the fire occurred at the mezzanine level when static electricity ignited leaking vapor from a container of assorted aerosol cans.

The area where the fire began was protected by a fully automatic fire sprinkler system which put the fire out and prevented the blaze from spreading.

Fire damage was confinedto the stockpile of merchandiseand was estimated at $1,000. There were no reported injuries, despite scanner news reports to the contrary on Tuesday night.

Facebook Comments
Previous article
Next articleDowntown Residence Inn opens on Thursday
Posts labeled Special to Delaware Business Now are typically submitted items that are updated and sometimes rewritten in news style. Background information is sometimes added.