1 DHLAStars2018_ Hilda Rodriguez _Housekeeper of the Year_Homewood Suites Newark
The Delaware Hotel and Lodging Association honored top performers at its annual reception Friday night at the Embassy Suites, Newark.
The event recognizes hotel associates in several service categories as well as Allied members, legislators and special from the chairman.
The organization is chaired by Bill Silva, general manager of the Westin on the Wilmington Riverfront.
Attending the event was New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer, who, in brief remarks, praised the economic impact of the industry and the high level of customer service that leaves a positive impression on hotel guests.
Emcee for the event was Michael Waite, co-host of a new morning drive show on WJBR-FM, Wilmington.
The awards presented for 2018 were:
- Hotelier of the Year,Denis Dowse – Homewood Suites Brandywine
- Allied/Associate Member of the Year – Delaware Express – Gerry Frenze
- Manager of the Year –Cassandra Connell – Hilton Christiana
- Housekeeper of the Year – Hilda Rodriguez – Homewood Suites Newark
- Front-of-the-House Employee of the Year – Kyle Welch – Hampton Inn Christiana
- Heart-of-the-House Employee of the Year, non-management employee in a non-contact orlimited- guest-contact position – Garland Eutler – Westin Wilmington Hotel
- Legislator of the Year – Gerald Brady – State Representative, Wilmington.
- Chairman’s Award for Career Service to the Industry Award Selection – Jean Andress. Andress recently retired from the Holiday Inn Express, near Newark and has a 50-year career in the lodging industry.
Students selected for the 2018 Hospitality Scholarships were:
- Harry Chen – University of Delaware – Hospitality Business Management.Delaware Hotel and Lodging Association Award of $2,500
- Alice Ritschard – University of DelawareHospitality Business Management. DHLA Award funded by the Greater Wilmington Convention and Visitors Bureau of $2,500
- Reilly Scott – University of Delaware- Hospitality Business Management. DHLA Award funded by the Greater Wilmington Convention and Visitors Bureau of $2,500