(Photos by Kathy Atkinson)
The Delaware Hotel and Lodging Association Annual STARS of the Industry dinner honored a number of industry professionals.
The event was held at the Clarion the Belle Hotel in New Castle on Friday, February 26.
This dinner recognizes valued associates and business partners of the industry, all nominated by peers in the industry. This is a way to award the many dedicated hospitality professionals in Delaware, a release stated.
This year 25 associates were nominated. Association Chairman Paul Rada presented the awards for 2015 to the following:
Hotelier of the Year
- Bill Silva (Westin Wilmington)
Manager of the Year
- Maria Rodriguez-Mendoza (Hampton Inn Newark)
- Leah Markiewicz (Christiana Hilton)
Front-of-the-House Employee of the Year
- Michael Graef (Courtyard Newark – University of Delaware)
Allied/Associate Member of the Year
- Robert Harrison – URI Restoration
- Kathy Atkinson – Atkinson Photography
Legislator of the Year
- Representative Bryon Short
Housekeeper of the Year
- Louise Jefferson (Clarion the Belle)
Heart-of-the-House Employee of the Year
- Novalita Mendoza (Dover Downs Hotel & Casino)
Chariman Special Awards
- Dedication to the Industry and Education – Bernd Mayer – University of Delaware HRIM and Vita Nova retired
- Dedication to the Industry and DHLA – Fred Wieland – Hotel du Pont retired